with Shahine Shams
Through works by significant female authors, we will explore the issues at the forefront of their novels, and how they explored the problems of women using narrative techniques. These are exemplary authors that wrote about choices women had to make in the face of adversity.
Class participants will be asked to reflect on how the authors’ unique cultural backgrounds relate to the issues at hand. We will discuss the movie adaptions of all three authors’ masterpieces.
We strongly urge participants to read the novels and watch the films at home prior to the start of class. The books and movies are:
- Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
- Movie: The Hours with Nicole Kidman
- Isabel Allende, House of Spirits
- Movie: House of Spirits with Meryl Streep
- Toni Morrison, Beloved
- Movie: Beloved with Oprah Winfrey